I’ve actually been trying to figure out how to do this for a while and not having much luck. Here’s my situation:
- I have a computer that has a CD drive in it, but not a DVD drive.
- I had previously downloaded the DVD version of Fedora Core 6 in to install it on a different machine.
- I have an external USB DVD drive.
- My BIOS does not support booting from a USB device
- I wanted to avoid having to use up a lot of CD-R’s
So I went hunting in Google. I found pretty much nothing. After some investigation, I discovered that the Fedora Core 6 ISO has a file, images/boot.iso, that when burned to a CD provides a bootable media that can then read the external USB DVD. It’s really simple, but it took me quite some time to figure it out.