Jake's Blog

Skip to: Content | Sidebar | Footer

Link Exchange

Upcoming Events and WordPress 2.1

11 December, 2006 (17:58) | upcoming-events | By: Jake

It looks like WordPress 2.1 is getting closer to being out the door… The WordPress Development blog just made a post to suggest the plugin authors check their code to make sure if it’s naughty or nice. Well, Upcoming Events is somewhere in between. I followed the instructions on WordPress’ site for creating tables in the database which said to use $table_prefix in order to get the configured prefix (wp_ by default). It seems, however, that I should actually be using $wpdb->prefix instead. Fortunately, $table_prefix is just depreciated, not eliminated so even version 0.1 of Upcoming Events is WordPress 2.1 ready. Upcoming Events 0.4, when it comes out, will use the shiny new $wpdb->prefix interface.

UPDATE 11-Dec-2006: I edited the WordPress wiki to reflect the fact that $wpdb->prefix is now the prefered method.

Comments

Comment from Aaron Brazell
Time December 11, 2006 at 11:20 pm

No, no, no…. $table_prefix is not deprecated. It is elimnated. If your plugin uses $table_prefix instead of $wpdb->prefix, your plugin will break.

Comment from colby
Time December 12, 2006 at 12:00 am

The zip file link to your plugin doesn’t seem to be working. Is there another working link I can download the Events app from? Thanks much in advance!

Comment from Jake
Time December 12, 2006 at 8:00 am

Asron, the above mentioned naughty or nice post says:

[...] the former $table_prefix variable that developers could globalize before to find the MySQL table prefix defined in wp-config.php has also been deprecated in favor of $wpdb->prefix.

I’ve tested my plugin in 2.1alpha3 and it still worked.

Comment from Jake
Time December 12, 2006 at 8:07 am

Also, the current trunk still has $table_prefix defined. Are you saying before it’s released that will change?

Comment from Jake
Time December 12, 2006 at 8:58 am

colby,

RedAlt seems to be having problems with their download interface right now. The .tar.gz is still available from my site.

Comment from Pat
Time January 11, 2007 at 3:44 am

Hey Jake,
thanks for your Plugin. Got a simple problem on my site (it’s down at the right side): When I got more than one date a day, it seems there is a brake missing, the titles of the events are written in one line, and they don’t have the padding that is use for list elements normally… maybe you can help in here :-)

Comment from Pat
Time January 16, 2007 at 3:32 pm

Hey Jake, you’re alive? :) Problem above! :)

Comment from Falko
Time January 19, 2007 at 12:12 pm

Hey Jake,
I uploaded and installed your plugin. I inserted two links to a google calendar – one for birthdays, one for events.
The birthdays seem to be shown regularly, but the other ones do not. Each of the events starts on Jan 1st and end on the defined date. So each event starts on January 1st.
Have you already had someone with such a problem?
What do you suggest I can do?
Yours sincerely Falko

Comment from KB
Time January 29, 2007 at 1:05 am

Falco,

There is a problem (at least with Google calendar) and I was trying to work with Jake on this one. Any recurring yearly events work with no problems. Any other dates or events do not work. They appear blank. I think there are issues on how the Google data is parsed or the version of PHP that I’m running. It’s a little older that what Jake, I believe, is running. Of course, I could be completely wrong since I don’t know much about PHP coding. Anything I’ve done with the help of Jake don’t seem to work. I just wish Google would just make a unified calendar feed so multiple calendars wouldn’t be an issue.

Comment from Falko
Time January 30, 2007 at 3:43 am

Hey Jake – did you recognize my problem :-? Please give me a sign or an answer. Thanx

Comment from cwheat
Time March 9, 2007 at 9:59 pm

Is there any way to have the widget display events that are at a specific time. It correctly shows all of my events that are all-day events but completely leaves out all events that have a specific time.

Comment from Jessica
Time March 31, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Awesome plugin… but I have just one question…

when I just tried to run it, but any events that have time on it is not showing up… Any idea? (I use google cal)

Comment from Hakre
Time May 17, 2007 at 1:09 pm

I downloaded your Plugin and started to fix all the errors in it but finally I gave up. It’s really a pitty because I thought it might be worth using it. Please continue your project and release a stable version. The parsing of ICS Events is broken as well.

Comment from biodiesel
Time June 19, 2007 at 8:10 pm

Thanks for the plugin. But I have the same problem as Pat above has. Is there eny solution to this?

Comment from puika
Time July 29, 2007 at 11:07 am

Jake
Thanks for the plugin, please continue your project.

Comment from Chris
Time August 6, 2007 at 9:45 pm

Wicked script, though after hearing about the bugs i think im gonna hold off until its a bit more tested. But i look forward to its evolution

Comment from T Hughes
Time September 2, 2007 at 1:02 pm

Nice script, but I am a bit concerned you don’t respond to problems and are not working on the project anymore. I have the same problem as everyone else, I use google cal etc.

Comment from Tim Watt
Time September 11, 2007 at 2:53 pm

Please can you either fix this plugin or remove it’s listing from WordPress.org – I see no alternative on there so this is a shame.

Comment from Jake
Time September 25, 2007 at 11:53 am

Most of the people who’ve been having problems with events that are not all day events are most likely using PHP version 4. It seems not to work with the date/time format ical uses for events that have a specific time. The upcoming version 0.5 (no, I don’t have a release date) should fix this issue.

Comment from Suchmaschinenoptimierung
Time March 1, 2008 at 6:24 pm

no sorry this plugin is old. it doesnt work anymore or i do some wrong

Comment from Jeff
Time March 12, 2008 at 2:01 pm

I don’t think you did anything wrong as I can’t get the plugin to work either. Perhaps we both did something wrong?

Comment from Full Version
Time March 18, 2008 at 5:34 am

Thanks for the plugin, very very good!

Comment from Mothers Day Cards
Time April 27, 2008 at 10:47 am

excellent plugin. I will use it in my blogs so that i won’t be chided again for forgetting about the next major holiday as i plow thru my blogs day and night.

Comment from mrankin
Time April 28, 2008 at 12:15 am

Any further news on the fix for this plugin?

Comment from water powered cars
Time May 12, 2008 at 4:31 pm

There is wordpress’s 2.5.1 version is available on the web now. So i dont think this plugin will work with newer versions of wordpress or else you need to update it to make it compatible with the latest version

Comment from people finder
Time August 25, 2008 at 10:26 pm

No, it doesn’t seem that this plugin works with wordpress 2.61 either.

Write a comment

You need to login to post comments!