Jake's Blog

Skip to: Content | Sidebar | Footer

Link Exchange

Upcoming Events v0.1

22 November, 2006 (10:35) | upcoming-events | By: Jake

NOTICE: This is the URL specifically for version 0.1 of this plugin. For all posts related to this plugin, please see the upcoming-events category.

Some of you may have noticed a new section in my sidebar labeled “Upcoming Events” for the past week or so. Up until today, it said it was “Powered by a yet-to-be-released plugin.” Well, today is the day I release it! I set up an account at wp-plugins.org and got everything but the ability to edit the wiki. My intention was to have that page be the “Plugin URI,” but I decided to go ahead and release it now. Once I get the ability to edit the wiki, I’ll be making that the plugin’s main site.

So how do you get your hands on it? Easy, simply download it. Once you’ve done that, extract the archive into your Word Press plugins directory (by default, wp-content/plugins) and activate it using the normal Plugin Activation screen inside the Word Press administrative interface.

Any bugs should be filed using my bugzilla install.

UPDATE 28-Nov-2006: My bugzilla install is now the place to file bugs instead of trac at wp-plugins.org.

UPDATE 29-Nov-2006: New version (0.2) released.

UPDATE 6-Dev-2006: Added notice about the upcoming-events category. Also, version 0.3 is out now

Comments

Comment from Jenseeka
Time November 22, 2006 at 11:25 am

I love the layout of this eventlist plugin.. fantastic work! Just one question: is there a zip download?

Comment from Brad
Time November 22, 2006 at 11:50 am

Jake,

Very nice plugin!! I have been looking for a feature to this sort of thing, but how could you get the upcoming events to become “linked” in case you wanted to view more information on the event?

I think this would be very nice if you could incorporate the additional event info into a custom “events” page because the calendar in itself may not be as appealing as with the current WordPress theme.

I will try it out .. thanks for your contributions!!

Brad

Pingback from   WordPress Plugin: Upcoming Events v0.1 by Blogging Pro
Time November 22, 2006 at 12:33 pm

[...] Having a list of upcoming events in your sidebar can be great to remind others, promote an event or just remind yourself, and Jacob Steenhagen has taken it upon himself to create a new events plugin for WordPress using iCal feeds. So what does this plugin do? Pretty much what you see in my sidebar. I have a feed from my Google Calendar, a feed for Bugzilla Development, a feed for my Army Drills, and a feed for the Detroit Lions schedule. It takes all of those iCal feeds and comes up with what the next, in my case, 7 events are. This is configurable in that you can choose how many events, days, or weeks to display. [...]

Comment from emeff
Time November 24, 2006 at 4:14 am

Sounds great – but love to see it as a widget …

Comment from Carlos
Time November 24, 2006 at 7:05 am

When I install your plugin I recivied an error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or ‘}’ in /home/content/l/i/n/linea3/html/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/upcoming-events/ical.class.php on line 21

Can you help me?
Thanks !!! :)

Comment from Jake
Time November 24, 2006 at 12:46 pm

Jenseeka:
Currently I don’t have a .zip download for this plugin. I suppose I can make one in the near future.

Brad:
Thank-you. Currently, the closest thing on my TODO list is a popup when you mouse over the event that provides more information about the event. Think of it kinda like a title tag on steroids. In the future I could probably do a seperate page.

emeff:
I’ll have to look into what it takes to make that happen. I currently don’t use widgets on my site.

Carlos:
I’m not sure off the top of my head what the problem is. If I had to guess, I’d say it’s a PHP version issue. I have 5.1.4 installed on my machine and it’s possible that I used php 5 functions without thinking about it.

Bug List

Comment from Jordan
Time November 25, 2006 at 3:19 am

My server is running PHP 4.x, and I get the same error that Carlos received.

*sniffs* Would like to use this too.

Comment from Martin
Time November 27, 2006 at 10:46 am

Have the same problem as Carlos and Jordan. php is ver. 4.3.1.0

Comment from Larsabrasha
Time November 27, 2006 at 11:36 am

I get the same error too…

Pingback from Jake’s Weblog » Upcoming Events v0.1 – Matt Heerema : Web Design
Time November 27, 2006 at 1:54 pm

[...] Just found a handy little wordpress plugin: Upcoming Events, v0.1, can take various iCal and other feeds and display them on your WordPress blog. [...]

Comment from nate
Time November 27, 2006 at 2:45 pm

I am running php 4.x also and have found the fix to your problems…. Most of it has to do with the declaration of private/public variables and functions. In PHP4, you can’t do that. So, just comment out any variables being declared public or private. Also, remove the “public” before the function parse_ics()

That will fix it… However, I can’t find the form which allows me to add a new ics url. Hmm…

Comment from nate
Time November 27, 2006 at 3:02 pm

BTW, Jake, I’d love to update a few more bugs I found in your code, but I’m not sure where your svn repository is located at. The wiki is still not working, and all I can find is the code in the browser at dev.wp-plugins.org. Where’s the source (if you want to share)?

Comment from nate
Time November 27, 2006 at 3:04 pm

Oh, and even in the code, I can’t find the location of the form which I can add an iCal url. It’s not in the options… *shrug*

Comment from Jake
Time November 27, 2006 at 3:25 pm

emeff:
I just added widget capability which will be included in the 0.2 release.

nate:
The source code can be found at http://dev.wp-plugins.org/browser/upcoming-events which is the SVN repository I’m using. The list of current bug reports/feature requests is also currently located in trac at wp-plugins.org. I’m considering moving them to my own Bugzilla install as I find trac quite limiting, but for now I’ll continue working out of trac.
It’s possible that I’m using more PHP 5 specific code other than just the public/private stuff in ical.class.php. That may be causing the “Upcoming Events” to not show up in the Options page. At some point I’ll have to make an install somewhere with PHP 4 to test this plugin.

Comment from Jake
Time November 27, 2006 at 3:29 pm

Jenseeka:
It looks like RedAlt makes a download interface for everything at wp-plugins.org which provides ZIP file downloads.

Comment from Shekira
Time November 28, 2006 at 1:23 pm

Hi Jake,

I’m having the same parse error everyone has been getting, but I don’t think I’m savvy enough to do the fix that Nate suggested. Will you be rereleasing this any time soon and if so can I get an email notification? Thanks again for this – its a much needed plugin.

Comment from Jake
Time November 29, 2006 at 8:18 am

Shekira:
I think I fixed all the PHP 4 related errors and will be release v0.2 today. This version will also contain the ability to be used as a widget.

Comment from Luis
Time December 1, 2006 at 4:16 pm

I got the same problem. I am running PHP 4.3.11.
I noticed that you download link is still to 0.1. Could you update the download like to 0.2. Or maybe have a download area for those on PHP 5 and others on PHP4.

Comment from Luis
Time December 1, 2006 at 4:33 pm

Ok I’ve installed the 0.2 version. It fixed the problem with the admin pages.

I am using the default theme. Now how do I get to appear in the sidebar?

Comment from Jake
Time December 2, 2006 at 11:13 am

I actually have a new post for version 0.2. If you’re using the default theme, there’s some sample code at the bottom of the admin page to insert into wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php wherever you want the event list to appear. You’ll probably want the default code which is:

<li>
  <h2>Upcoming Events</h2>
  <?php ue1_get_events(); ?>
</li>

Comment from Sandra
Time December 4, 2006 at 7:55 pm

What if I don’t have a content/default/sidebar.php location?

Comment from Jake
Time December 5, 2006 at 9:31 am

My bad, I meant to say wp-content/themes/default/sidebar.php. Sorry about that. I’m going to correct the above comment so as to avoid confusion.

Comment from Mandy
Time January 7, 2007 at 5:25 pm

Really nice plugin thank you!

Comment from Michael
Time April 22, 2007 at 9:10 am

hi there, seems my trackbacks does not work. thanks a lot for this great plugin, appears on my “must-have” list ;-)

best,
michael

Comment from Web design site
Time May 14, 2007 at 5:18 pm

Hi Jake,

Comment from mara
Time July 23, 2007 at 8:30 am

Great plugin, thanks Jake!

Comment from SEO Tips
Time August 18, 2007 at 8:42 am

My server is running PHP 4.x, and I get the same error that Carlos received.

Comment from SEO Tips
Time August 18, 2007 at 8:43 am

Write a comment

You need to login to post comments!